Sunday 2 September 2012

FAZE RE-FAZE AND OPEN UP



Ex-Plantaishun Boiz member, Chibuzor Orji, otherwise called Faze, has done credibly well in his career as a solo artiste. One of the biggest selling artistes of this generation, being the first artiste to ever have his first three albums going platinum, Faze is set to release his fourth album titled Refazed. The quiet and easy-going R&B crooner opened up on a number of issues in this interview with AHMED BOULOR
HOW are plans taking shape for your 4th album?
The album is done and there are a whole lot of expectations from fans and music lovers alike. Putting the album together has been really hectic because I am doing my best to give the album a good shot. From the look of things, the album is going to turn out great.
How did your last album, Originality, fare in the market?
Originality was really a great collection. It fared well in the music market, and it’s recorded as one of my most successful albums till date.
You have barely featured any other artiste in your last three albums, except for OJB and one or two others; why is this so?
Yeah! You are right; but my new album, Refazed, has Vector and my former group, Plantaishun Boiz, on it.
Why do you keep a low profile?
I keep a low profile because I am a quiet person, and I guess that in life, it is different strokes for different folks. That's just me…
Is there any special reason why you signed a management deal with Now Muzik?
I returned to Now Muzik because they understand what artiste management is all about. The outfit manages quite a couple of established artistes on the scene, and I am getting the very best in terms of management at the moment.
There was a rumour sometime ago that you are broke; how true is this?
(Laughs) That's really not true and whoever is peddling such rumours should closely listen to track 6 on my current album.
After waxing three albums, how rich is Faze?
I am someone who doesn't really like talking about what I have achieved, but people will get to see things for themselves very soon.
Why did the Plantaishun Boiz re-union fail?
The Plantaishun Boiz is made up of three members, and I think it is best you ask that question when the three of us are together.
What memorable experience do you have as an ex-member of that group?
My most memorable experience as an ex-member of the group was my first major single titled 'Fazealone'.
Are you better off as a solo artiste?
I am better off as a solo artiste because I think I have learnt a great deal in my journey as a musician. I have really learnt so much, I must say, and I am still learning.
Were you ever signed on to Akon's Convict Music?
I was never signed onto Convict Music. There is no atom of truth in that rumour.
What was the experience like shooting the video, 'I am in Love' in America?
Shooting that video was an awesome experience. It is quite different from my other videos shot in South Africa, and this is in terms of planning and arrangement.
Would you agree to a re-union of the Plantaishun Boiz, if the offer comes up again?
Why not? Like I said initially, we did a joint in my album that shows that there's more to it.
How often do you relate with other ex-members of the group?
We hangout as often as we can; we call each other anytime we want to hang out to relive old moments as group members.
Blackface is happily married and 2face is not in short supply of women; but no lady has been linked with you. Why have you chosen to keep your relationships under wraps?
My affair is not under wraps; I am in a relationship. It's God that brings people together. If He says that woman is your wife, who am I to say no. Those who want to know more about the woman of my life should listen to track 5 of my current album, ''Good Wife''. Then they'll know what I am talking about.
Why did you take off your dreadlocks? 
I took it off because I am in a process of re-fazing my career; besides, I am not getting any younger…
You were one of the pioneers of the trend of shooting music videos in South Africa with 'Tattoo Girls', 'Kpo kpo di kpo' and 'Need Somebody'. Are Nigerian music video producers not up to the task?
Not really! There was a trend of shooting videos outside Nigeria at the time, and I followed suit. On the other hand, I just finished shooting a couple of videos for my album and they were all shot in Nigeria.

No comments: